Thursday, May 7, 2015

Some Thoughts on My Tumor Story

I've met about 200 people with spinal cord tumors similar to mine.  A dozen or so of those people have had tumors grow where they had epidurals. Some others had other trauma as well. It certainly doesn't account for all cases of spinal cord tumors.  As few a number of people that end up with these tumors I guess it will be a long time before they can determine the cause. 

I had an epidural in 2000. They re-stuck 5-7 times. Went out of surgery room to get final needle. I had CFS leak following the epidural. Blood patch after. My tumor site coincides with the epidural. The slow tumor growth coincides with the epidural time as well. I have no other health issues as well.    I have been shocked to hear a lot of stories like my own.


I'd encourage any woman with increasing neurological deficits that start sometime after having an epidural to go and ask for a full thoracic and lumber MRI.  See a spine chart to see what may happen, commonly it will be a loss of motor function below the waist.  Tumors are scary, not catching this tumor is not something you want to happen.  My neurologist initially did a X-ray and an EMG, saw that I had a bulging disk.  Because of the rarity of having a spinal tumor, he just told me that I had a bulging disk, that I likely picked up something too heavy.   He said it would heal over time.  So, I ignored my neurological issues thinking they would go away over time.  That was not the case.  

Someone is probably much more likely to be eaten by a shark or be stuck by lightning than have this happen.  But, there is a possibility though of it happening, and it still bothers me.  I feel like I have an obligation to say something.  Maybe speaking up makes me feel like less of a victim.  Maybe it will help someone else, I'm not sure.   But it's time to speak up and then put it behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment